пятница, 27 февраля 2015 г.

The Editors' Premier League Betting Battle 2014/15: Round 27

Mike expects Wenger's men to bounce back against Everton

There were big changes in the Betting Battle standings last weekend with Dan Thomas grabbing the lead from Joe Dyer thanks to Stoke's last gasp winner at Villa and Luke Moore moving above Mike Norman into third place. Where are their tenners headed this weekend? Read on...

Dan Thomas
Back Over 2.5 Goals in Newcastle v Aston Villa at 2.47/5
Saturday, 15:00

Stoke's late, late show against Villa sent me top of the Battle last weekend and I'm sticking with Tim Sherwood's men and overs this week at what looks like an attractive price once again.

I'm hoping that the layers are a little behind the curve in pricing up goals in a Villa game at odds-against. We all know about their struggles in front of goal this season but, with Sherwood in charge, they are going to be more expansive and unlikely to be any more solid in defence - especially with Ron Vlaar unavailable.

They face a Newcastle side who will be desperate to restore some pride after the 5-0 shellacking at Man City last time out and have been involved in some entertaining encounters on home turf recently.

The last four games at St James' Park have seen a total of 16 goals, eight at either end, but three will do me just fine on Saturday.

Dan Thomas 2014-15 P/L: +28.25

Joe Dyer
Back Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.186/5 in Burnley v Swansea
Saturday, 15:00  

Seven straight losers eh? Ouch. I'm feeling the pain and bemoaning my luck at the moment. Let's go over the last three bets - two goals late on see draw bets on Spurs sunk and then Everton and Leicester are 60 minutes into the predicted bore-fest before the Foxes suddenly remember how to score, my unders bet trading at 1.11/10 or thereabouts before losing. As I said, ouch!

I'm keen to get with West Brom this weekend my I can't make my mind up between a home win or draw, and the latter is short enough so I'm turning my attention to another Saturday 3pm KO.

The market has made its mind up about Burnley v Swansea and it's settled on a low scoring affair. I'm not so sure and it's Overs at 2.18 for me.

Sean Dyche's team started the season as a defensive outfit, memorably putting together a six-match run without scoring, but they have shed that style of play in conclusive fashion according to recent results. Four of their last six Premier League games have breached the 2.5 line, with games against Crystal Palace, West Brom and Man Utd going over 3.5.

Swansea are an effective defensive unit but they boast decent attacking players and I fancy them to register at least once against a Burnley side that will be pushing hard for a win. The Clarets' next five games offer up Liverpool, City, Southampton, Spurs and Arsenal so a win before that tough run would be very welcome.

As would a Battle winner for me.

Joe Dyer 2014-15 P/L +20.50

Luke Moore
Back Stoke to beat Hull at 2.0421/20
Saturday, 15:00

A much-needed win last week has lifted me off the bottom of the table and now it's vital I consolidate that with another follow-up positive. Mikey has gone for a big-priced punt, but that's not my style at this stage of the season; there's plenty of distance left in this race, plenty of time for the top two to slip up.

I was surprised to see Stoke at an odds-against price at home to Hull, who I personally think are a poor side. I know they've won their last two, but those victories came against fellow strugglers and I don't consider Stoke to be in that bracket. Mark Hughes' men are of course a bit inconsistent, but they've won three of their last five and are simply a better team than Steve Bruce's Tigers.  

Last time these two met at the Britannia it finished 1-0 to the Potters, and I can see that happening again. However, the price on that outcome is quite short for a correct score bet (6.611/2) and so I'll just stick to a straight win at a very generous odds-against price.

Luke Moore 2014-15 P/L: -60.70

Mike Norman
Back 'Any Other Home Win' in Arsenal v Everton @ 8.07/1
Sunday, 14:05
Live on Sky Sports 1

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to take something miraculous to defend my Betting Battle title that I won last season, and as we're playing only with virtual money then I may as well be 200 down having 'gone for it' than 50 down thanks to a few short price winners if it means finishing bottom of the table.

So I'm banking on Arsenal putting their dismal Champions League performance well and truly behind them on Sunday by beating Everton and scoring at least four goals in the process.

Prior to Wednesday night against Monaco the Gunners had scored at least two in each of their previous seven home games, scoring four against Newcastle and five against Villa, so their goalscoring prowess isn't in question. Whether Arsene Wenger's men can score at least four here perhaps depends more on Everton's approach and current form.

The Toffees are having a poor season and very surprisingly have won only two league games since November, those victories coming against QPR and Crystal Palace.  Admittedly Roberto Martinez's men haven't been conceding many of late but they did ship three at Southampton and at Newcastle and I think 8.07/1 about them conceding at least four against a wounded Arsenal isn't the wildest stab in the dark you'll have this weekend.

Mike Norman 2014-15 P/L: -75.80

A 10 bet is placed on each selection on Betfair's Exchange. Profits are calculated before commission.

Editors 2014/15 Season P/L

1. Dan Thomas: +28.25
2. Joe Dyer: +20.50
3. Luke Moore: -60.70
4. Mike Norman: -75.80

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий