пятница, 2 ноября 2012 г.

Donald McCain: Clondaw Kaempfer Creates Big Impression

Donald has confirmed that the Betfair Chase on November 24th will be the target for Weird Al's reappearance.

Donald was delighted with Clondaw Kaempfer's debut performance and has been strengthening the team at the Horses In Training sale this week.

It is a shame that Weird Al won't be lining up for a repeat bid in the Charlie Hall Chase tomorrow but I just felt that he could do with another couple of weeks to get him fully match fit.

The intention had always been to run if he was ready but I have been down at the sales in Newmarket and didn't see him until Thursday - his latest piece of work was fine but having spoken to the owners, we just felt it was best to give him a bit more time.

The Betfair Chase on November 24th is now the plan for his reappearance - it's a case of getting him spot on as we know that he goes well fresh and he's not the sort you can try and campaign too aggressively. Another couple of weeks should have him primed and the Haydock race is a valuable pot to have him cherry ripe for.

                                **********************************

We had a busy time at the sales and ended up coming home with seven new additions to the yard. It was a very strong sale at the level I was trying to get involved at - I did have one crack at a more expensive lot but pulled out when I felt it had gone too far. He has ended up going to Australia so at least he's not going to give me any sleepless nights!
 
It's now a case of getting the new recruits settled in at Bankhouse - those that are still colts will be gelded and then we will take it steadily from there. Once they have acclimatised we can get them into full work and then the task of schooling them begins.

Like I say, it was a strong sale and there weren't many bargains about - hopefully I have managed to find something useful amongst the ones I did get!

                                ***********************************

Finally, I can't go without mentioning Clondaw Kaempfer who was a hugely impressive winner at Aintree last week. I have always thought a fair bit of him but I have to say I was delighted with the way he did it and it was difficult not to be taken with him.

I was umming and aahing about running him when the ground turned as testing as it did but it was the right decision as things panned out. I don't think connections of the second and third were too disappointed and Jason was delighted when he returned.

There aren't any firm plans for him in the coming months and I think it will be a case of 'softly softly' with him - he still has a lot of learning to do but hopefully we will be able to tick along and move him up in grade as and when he is ready.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий