воскресенье, 4 ноября 2012 г.

Ryan Moore: Luck of the draw is crucial in the Breeders' Cup

Great to see the Breeders' Cup back at Santa Anita

Ryan Moore is delighted to see the Breeders' Cup back at Santa Anita. Our man explains why the luck of the draw could mean everything in Saturday's Classic...

This year's Breeders' Cup may lack a superstar, from both the home and European challenges, but it remains one of my favourite meetings.

And having it back at Santa Anita is a massive plus. I know there are politics to consider but I think the organisers should bite the bullet and keep it there for the foreseeable future.

And I also know there are also finances to consider, but I would also be in favour of putting the meeting back to one day, like it usedto be.

I know some people criticised the Arc for putting on some many Group 1s on the Sunday but I felt it was the right thing to do. And I think the Breeders' Cup would benefit from having a Saturday of wall-to-wall Grade 1 racing once again, too, like it was before they moved to two days in 2008.

Make it a top class day of racing from start to finish.

Santa Anita is a track where I was lucky enough to win two Turfs with Conduit in 2008 and 2009 - Wrote was my third Breeders Cup winnerlast year - and I am a fan.

I suppose it is a bit like Chester, though obviously not as tight, in that everyone knows what they want to do, but putting theory intopractice is not so easy.

Draw and position are crucial here, and if you are drawn in double figures, then I think your winning chances are halved.

Obviously, a lot depends on how horses take the travelling, often after a long season, and how they handle the track.

And you don't really know until the gates open. Two stories illustrate this.

During the race, I was beginning to fancy my chances on Paco Boy in the Mile at Churchill in 2010. But then he went into the bend and didn't turn, and I lost all chance there and then. He went from midfield to last in an instant. And then he flew home to finish fourth, beaten just two lengths by Goldikova. That was one that got away.

And talking of Goldikova reminds me of Zacinto in the Mile a year earlier.

The horse had been working superbly in the run-up to race. And when I got down to the start, I looked over at Goldikova and wasn't overly-impressed by what I saw. Some judge I am! She didn't look great, and I really fancied my chances of beating her.

But after about 100 yards, I was the one beaten and he finished stone last.

I know he was subsequently found to be injured, but it just illustrates that it is unwise to be too bullish about horses coming over here at the end of the season.

But, as I said, the luck of the draw is the most crucial factor here.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий